Thursday, February 12, 2015

MY COMPUTER DIED !!

It was fine – I was doing my usual stuff on it – then I shut it down the other night and went to bed.

But I couldn’t get to sleep, so an hour later I got up and turned the computer back on.

Got this gawd awful screen with an error message on it and couldn’t go any further. I had NOT been doing any updates or downloads.  It is quite a mystery.

Rushed it immediately to EMERGENCY (Best Buy) and they said they will have to restore it to its original status – meaning I lose everything on it !!  EVERYTHING !!

They did call to say they tried to fix it without me losing all my files but NO GO !

Thankfully I had done a back up only about a week before so I didn’t lose a whole lot.

I’m using my little 10” mini computer which is totally useless and oh sooooo slow.

Hoping to get my main computer back tomorrow and then begins the re-installing software and hopefully will be able to figure out how to restore from my back up.

I’ve had a computer pretty much from Day One of home computers and in all that time I have never gotten a virus nor had any problems.

Now this is twice just within the last six months.

Me Nerves !!

13 comments:

  1. Not your SPREAD SHEETS! What will you do?
    Glad you backed up.! You must be in Yuma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES !! ALL my spreadsheets ! Now I don't even know how much money I DON'T have !!

      I'm also bored out of my mind with no computer - I don't count this one as it is quite useless and I have no files on it.

      Delete
  2. That just sucks. I know because the same thing happened to me this summer. It's hard to start back from square one (but having a recent back-up will help some).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's as long as I can figure out how to 'restore' from that external hard drive !!??

      Delete
  3. That is a real bummer. So glad you had backed it up recently. I'm going to back mine up tomorrow. I haven't done it this whole trip, so I would lose every picture except those on my blog.

    Good luck getting everything back to normal again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make images of my computers via Ghost. I just have to load the image back onto the hard drive and it is just as it was when I made the image. The only chore is to keep the images up to date. I have an old copy of Ghost, but if there are new image programs out there you might look into that as a backup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ghost is a good option, maybe for the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grrrrr I hate when that happens! At least in can be restored and not have to get a new one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no!!!!! Good luck on your restore. I only lost a couple of things last summer when I had to get this new computer. And it was nothing important. Paul said he sent you a picture of his new toy. He's got 1100 miles on it already.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of this "Ghost" thing ?? I'll definitely have to look into that !

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's not too many things worse than losing all your data.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm backing my computer up right now. I should do it more often! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wasn't that a quite new laptop? Good thing you had a back-up.

    ReplyDelete