Friday, October 17, 2014

THE RAMP DOOR–CONTINUES

I was pretty much stranded where I was Camping because there was no way was I going to take the chance of putting the bike in the toy hauler.

E-mails to Newmar asking for advice and assistance started June 27th.

By July I drove the rig to THE HITCH HOUSE – a Newmar Authorized Dealership - and a 200 Miles round trip.

I won’t even bore you with the details of the terrible service – or better said – LACK OF SERVICE I received there.  They told me I need a whole new door !!!!

Some of you may remember I spent almost a month there a few years ago getting body/paint work done after the INFAMOUS DITCH INCIDENT. That time I received excellent service.  I believe they have a new service manager now……who is an IDIOT !

It was definitely determined that I did need a new hinge.  I ordered that from Newmar and had it sent to BELLA VISTA RV and once confirmed that the new hinge arrived there I drove the rig there in September – a 211 Miles round trip.

MONEY SMILEY

The Folks there were much better than at The Hitch House but still couldn’t solve the problem.  The problem now was that the door was so far gone they did not have the proper equipment to open the door safely.  The size and weight of the door could cause injury and if it dropped – which it would most likely do – then the rig would be further damaged.

They did their dangest though I’ll give them that.  They spoke directly with the Technical Support Team at Newmar.

I ended up returning to the Campground the same day – with the new hinge in the toy hauler – and a paid bill of $556.97 !!!  Now I know they spent time on this trying to solve the problem and were unsuccessful so I expected some sort of bill for their time – BUT almost $600 !!!!!

What they did do though – which we discovered when I arrived at Newmar was a GREAT thing – was put several extra ‘bolts’ up through the bottom of the door to secure it.

So it’s closing in on the end of September by now and I am supposed to be getting on the road by the middle of October to head South.  AND I wasn’t going anywhere without my bike.

So again, hours and days spend on the phone and e-mail trying to figure out a way (the least expensive way) to get my bike to Newmar in Nappanee, IN where I had an appointment for October 13th to have the ramp door fixed.

I found a trucking company that could deliver the bike to me in Nappanee, IN within the time frame I was going to be there…….for $650 !!

Jeeze,  My anxiety level is going through the roof again just reliving all of this !!  LOL

To be continued……

9 comments:

  1. Wow , sure it was not a fun time with your coach, no wonder you did not feel like blogging al summer.
    Let hope this story has a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George, Yes I was pretty consumed all Summer with this issue. And I'm giving only the shortest version of this story. So much more was looked into, talked about, suggested etc. etc.

      Delete
  2. Holy cow girl. What a mess this has turned into. My anxiety level would have had me in tears and a complete melt down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Sandie you would not have !! LOL You've got Jim who can do anything and fix anything !! ha ha

      Delete
  3. This has definitely turned into a mess. I can understand your frustration. Hopefully, you'll get this all taken care of soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeri, All taken care of now. Next post will be the finale !

      Delete
  4. Hopefully Newmar will be able to fix the door, what a pain for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your story reads like a horror novel. The high level of incompetence reminds me of our own experiences with a BC based RV dealer, one year ago. I sure hope that Newmar will actually fix the door that was initially designed by them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rene, I remember your post on that experience very well. And have often wondered if they ever contacted you to make it right ??

      And I was sure glad you did write the post so others wouldn't deal with this Company and go through what you did.

      Delete