Thursday, October 16, 2014

THE RAMP DOOR

The ramp door on my rig has been nothing but trouble from Day One !  Serious ‘design’ flaws as far as I’m concerned.

A door of this size and weight should be electrically/hydraulically operated !!!

The first problem with this door is that it is TOO BIG and TOO HEAVY and I couldn’t close it by myself.  I blogged about all that HERE.

So I had a winch installed to solve that problem.

HAD TO DELETE PIC INSERTED HERE.

 

The next challenge was that was that the ramp door is far too steep to safely back the bike out of it.  I blogged about that HERE and HERE and THE SOLUTION HERE.

More problems occurred this past Summer.  Actually it started last February.  The hinge is bolted to the floor of the rig on one side and the other side is ‘bolted’ to the bottom of the door.  That part started to come apart.

HAD TO DELETE PIC INSERTED HERE.

By June it had gotten worse – a lot worse !!

HAD TO DELETE PIC INSERTED HERE.

The ‘bolts’ holding it had started to come out….

HAD TO DELETE PIC INSERTED HERE.

And look where it was by July !!!

HAD TO DELETE PIC INSERTED HERE.

And by August two screws had completely fallen out…

HAD TO DELETE PIC INSERTED HERE.

Yes, Those are the “bolts” that are supposed to be holding this massive door to the hinge !!

Suffice is to say that was the LAST TIME “I” opened that door !!

In June I did bring the rig to an RV place but they were not able to repair it.

I also started e-mailing Newmar about this problem in June – but I’ll save all of that for another post.

 

P.S.  This post just doesn’t show the damage without the pics.

4 comments:

  1. Awful design and build. You deserve to get their full cooperation to solve and fix this issue, once and for all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I know you've had problems with it. To have to deal with the problems over and over again definitely is not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with getting some assistance from Newmar, hope you can get things working for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure hoping that Newmar stepped up to the plate and got this fixed for you. So not fun.

    ReplyDelete