Wednesday, March 5, 2014

TOTO WE’RE NOT IN QUARTZSITE ANYMORE

And escape from Q I did the very next day !!

Now don’t get me wrong – I like Quartzsite.  Actually I like it a lot !!  And I love boondocking there.  I like to spend several weeks there at a time – then mosey to the Yuma area for a couple of weeks and then back to Q etc. etc.

BUT OVER SIX CONSECUTIVE WEEKS THERE – Well that was a bit much for me at one time.

You sure can’t beat those amazing sunsets though….

02

While waiting for the paperwork to come through, I did a little ‘personalizing’ to Ms. Daisy….

02

03

01

I ‘specks there might be more of that in her future.

Definitely not used to this hooking up stuff yet and had a hell of a time with it.  It’s not the actually ‘hooking up’ part – I’ve pretty much got that down already.

I’m having two main problems.  First one is getting the tow bar arms to lock.  You’re supposed to back up the car and they lock.  BUT if you’re not almost perfectly centre with the rig they won’t lock.

So I had to undo everything I did several times, tried lining up the car several times before they finally locked.  Thankfully Pat T. was there to help me.  Thanks Pat !!

The other problem I’m having is getting the 4WD into Neutral.  It’s quite the struggle and I’m thinking maybe it’s just stiff from non use ?  I dunno, but I sure work up a sweat getting it done !!

But finally it all gets done and Pat follows me out of the BLM area to make sure everything is working ok.

01

I think that’s a TIRED look on my face !!

02

And on the road I am heading to Yuma.  WHAT’S THAT IN MY BACK-UP CAMERA !!???  LOL

I have to say it does give me a start every time I glance at it – and right now that’s every few seconds !!

03

Hit some torrential downpours along the 95 and at one point glanced in my side mirror and saw the most gorgeous rainbow.  As always, the picture just didn’t capture it.

04

I only had a few days to get everything done as I had commitments ( HUH !  What’s that !!??) for the days ahead further down the road. 

One of the things I wanted to do was drive by The Pond.  This place is by far my absolute favourite place to boondock in the Yuma area.  Unfortunately though, it’s 3 miles in on a VERY bad dirt road to get there.  Making it hell getting in there with the rig – and even worse getting in and out on the bike.

I see they put boulders up this year to keep folks away from the pond’s edge.

01

But the roads are no problem for Ms. Daisy !!  As soon as I entered the area I get a sense of peace.  People are sitting outside their rigs chatting and a lot of people come there to fish.

Because of the difficulty getting in and out I didn’t boondock there at all this year or last year.  Maybe next year I will.

02

03

And they even have hook-ups !!

04

NOT !!  LOL  I was parked in front of this rig a few years ago (I’m assuming it’s the same people) and he would put out this fake post – sure got people’s attention.

I had a busy few days in Yuma dealing with a number of things.  Priority # 1 though was getting the 90 Day Non Resident Permit for Ms. Daisy so I could take Paul’s license plate off and be completely legal to drive it.

WELL that was a nightmare as I walked into the Arizona MVD with about 200 PEOPLE in the waiting room !!  TWO HOURS later I walked out with my Permit.

Next priority was getting the tires checked, rotated, balanced etc.  They came back with ‘almost’ a clean bill of health.  Verified there was still lots of tread on them and no cracking on the sides – given that they are 11 years old they are in excellent condition.

They did tell me that all four tires had ‘flat spots’ on them.  Actually, They gave it a technical term that I cannot remember right now.  Guess that accounts for the kinda rough ride feel the Tracker has.  I asked if sitting for long periods of time would cause this and they said yes.  I know the car sat in Arizona (covered) for six months each year.

Then my little boy had to get cleaned up.  He was one very dirty desert dog.  Now he’s all clean again – for awhile anyways.

05

BEFORE AND AFTER….

BENNIE

I got myself groomed also and got about 10 pounds of hair taken off my head !!  LOL

There was other running around but I’ve forgotten about it.

I did have time to meet up with George & Suzie for dinner the night before I left Yuma.  They were at the Pilot Knob RV Park and I was just behind them at the Pilot Knob LTVA.

We went to Lin’s Chinese Food Buffet – I had been there once earlier this year – and damn the food is amazing there.

George and Suzie waiting to get called to our table.  Just a few minutes wait despite the fact it was very busy there.

02

The three amigos in the waiting room – this pic was taken on George’s camera and I TOTALLY STOLE it from his Blog.

P1010923

George’s first (of many) plates of food.

03

Suzie’s first (of many) plates of food.

04

My first (of many) plates of food.

05

Go check out GEORGE & SUZIE'S BLOG for more great pics of our evening.

I ‘specks this is the last Arizona sunset I’m gonna see for awhile.  Not even out of the State yet and already I can’t wait to come back.

06

So this morning I got back on the road to start my very long drive back East.  YUCK !!

16 comments:

  1. Have been reading your blog from the beginning and this is first comment. Sometimes I have the same problem with the tow bar locking. Will lock on one side but not the other. I have found that when you drive forward it will self align and the other one will lock. Really hard to do it by just moving the car as you found out. Try it next time and keep up writing the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe travels dear friend. We're looking forward to seeing you again next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.K. that worked...You need a new shifter sheet...That's what it is called..It's a cheap rubber thing and your main box...1-5th gear probably needs the same thing. Not very expensive to install either. The shifter is pulled up and it is installed. Get someone to do it b/4 you get stuck somewhere. I got stuck in Orofino Idaho last year in neutral. If you get stuck in gear?..Well not so nice. I have a Samurai...same beast...Best of luck to you and if you head home up 97 in Wa. maybe we can say Howdy..by Chelan...
    Upriverdavid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well as long as I'm on a roll here, as the other person stated, don't worry about backing up. Just pull ahead and turn to the right then then left and the bars should engage.And they are not beasts, they are better than jeeps or dirt bikes.I have had "Ninja" follow my Winnebago "Lucy" over 40,000 miles and they always have the same big smiles on as I do.
    Upriverdavid

    ReplyDelete
  5. They beat me to it - don't need to back up your car to lock, just pull forward then check to make sure they locked. We did the same thing then realized we didn't have to, just pull forward! Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jerry and Janice have an exact replica of your Ms. Daisy. They prefer to pull it along rather than their other car because it's so much fun! You'll have a blast with it. I know you will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That meal was so tasty that we had.
    So glad that you suggested Lin's.
    We both have that long drive coming up, travel safe and see you on down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  8. D....DON'T HURRY....mUSKOKA oNTARIO has 7 feet of snow and 23 below last night''''

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miss Daisy looks quite perky rolling along! Happy Trails!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know that you got the okay on the tires but the rubber on tires is only good for 7 years. You could have a problem at anytime. I suggest getting a new set ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok where the heck is your bike?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still think you are going the wrong way! Drive safely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As upriver david told you, pull the motorhome forward stearing to the right and then left and the arms will extend and lock by themselves... Go back out and check them once you have pulled the coach ahead and did the stearing thing... After a while you will trust that it locked itself correctly....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember getting a toad after 1 1/2 years on the road. It kept following us! I remember looking in the back up camera and being surprised every time until I finally got used to it being there. That time will come; trust me. So that when you take just the rig to the dump at Q it will feel wrong not to have the toad following you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was a little worried about tires that old, too. I'd guess her tires aren't very expensive (compared to our RV tires), and I'd get a new set. Keep one of the old ones for a spare. I've read that 7 years is the maximum for tires, even if they look perfect. I'm surprised a tire place okayed them. You don't want a blow-out when you're driving down the road, towing the car. I can't imagine what would happen but it couldn't be good.

    Other than that, good deal about everything else. I'm already looking forward to seeing you next year! Drive safely and carefully. :)

    PS - Bennie looks like a new boy - very handsome with his bath and haircut! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there,!

    Well where does the time go? You're leaving Arizona and we are now on our way north, back to BC (sitting in the rain in Canyonville, OR as I write this). Our poor little California-girl Casita trailer doesn't know what hit her!

    I empathize with you in you DMV experience... I went to the DMV on the day after a long weekend and waited two hours, only to discover that I didn't have the necessary paperwork yet!

    Sorry that we didn't get a chance to see you again before we left Yuma. Hope the rest of your season goes well. Enjoy the sunshine while you have it!

    Cheers,
    Kathy and CJ

    ReplyDelete