Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A SPECIAL PLACE IN Q

Like most RV’ers, I suppose, I haven’t really explored Quartzsite – outside of the ‘Big Tent Event’ and the many Vendors.

So when Rita told me about CELIA'S RAINBOW GARDEN I knew I wanted to go see it.  And what a special place it is.

01

Celia was a little girl who lived here in Quartzsite with her parents and died at the very young age of 8 1/2 years old.

If you google Celia’s Rainbow Garden you will get numerous hits – many of which are other Bloggers who visited these gardens and have written about it.

But the most important one of all is the website created by her Parents and their heartfelt words. Celia’s story is written HERE in such a beautiful and loving way by her Mother, Joanne Winer.

03

Another website describes it this way……

“Celia’s Gardens is a unique, one-of-a-kind of desert botanical gardens and is a must-see if you are in Quartzsite. It encompasses over 15 acres of the Town Park on Plymouth Road, and is a totally volunteer effort. There is so much to see there that you will need a few hours to take it all in. Visit it and see what the community working together can do…….”

02

There are numerous trails and pathways that wind and twist between dozens of beautifully created memorials.

04

The area is quite large and I only got to see a small portion of it as it was a particularly HOT day and I needed to get out of the heat.

These gardens were created and continue to be maintained by Volunteers.

05

06

This brick wall was built by Celia’s Classmates…

07

And each of them made an imprint of their hand.

08

09

“Celia's Rainbow Garden includes "Adamsville," a miniature village started in 1974 by Babe and Babs Adams at the RV park they lived at in Castle Rock. They donated the village to the Quartzsite Historical Society, who restored it and placed it here in 2001.”

10

11

12

I certainly cannot come up with the right words to express the feeling I experienced as I walked through this wonderful place.

13

14

15

A section has been created by and for RVING WOMEN.  I am not a Member of this Group because I’m just not a ‘group’ kinda person.

16

Each year plaques are made and placed there for the women who have gone to that big RV in the sky.

17

My friends, Rita & Pat (along with many of their Friends), were instrumental in creating this and continue to maintain it.

18

19

20

21

This is a MUST SEE for those who have not been here.

Thank you Rita for showing me this place !!

Along the way Rita showed me where the ‘runway’ is for the model airplane enthusiasts.

Got these pics off the Internet.

RC Flyers Quartzsite, AZflyers 013

She also showed me where Folks can race their toy cars.  No pictures unfortunately but they have a great place complete with jumping ramps and everything.

01

02

9 comments:

  1. I would have never guessed that such a 'shrine' to the young girl existed. Thanks for exposing us to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We found Celia's garden a couple of years ago. Did you realize that the bookstore owner - Three Socks - is her Dad? Jim also spent a lot of time hanging out at the runway getting to talk about RC airplanes. Quartzsite does have some great areas to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the photos and info. I knew about the garden and have driven past it, but I've never stopped. I should do that next time. I can imagine it's a very emotional experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had no idea that was there. Want to see it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a great memorial, we visited there a few years ago, nice to see that it is being maintained, thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the photos and the reminders. We visited there last year and were deeply touched.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing and educating us all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been reading blogs from Q. for several years and have never heard of this before. Thank you so much for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We were very moved by Celia's Rainbow Garden as well a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete