Monday, December 23, 2013

RIDING MONTEZUMA VALLEY ROAD

Jean & Skip had taken me about 1/2 up this Mountain Road when I first got here – that’s where we saw those Bighorn Sheep.  I wanted to go back and ride that Mountain on the bike.

This is a very popular motorcycle ride especially for those sports bike crowd who take those curves practically on their sides scraping their knees !  Not this OLD rider !!  haha

It reminded me a lot of riding THE DRAGON except this road is all uphill – or downhill as the case may be.

I reached the top just past a little community called Ranchita which is at an elevation of 4,065’ and it was COLD and very, very windy.

Riding up this mountain, with its many twists, curves and completely blind corners, you have to stay focused – very focused !!!  No picture taking while riding I can assure you.

So I got these few pics from the Internet to give you somewhat of an idea….

07

08

09

10

11

12

This is the end point where I had to make a decision on which way to go…

04

The other option was to go back down the Mountain – which was the one I chose.

05

This is the only picture I took – from the safety of being OFF the bike.

06

It was a great little ride and I’m glad I did it – BUT it certainly wasn’t a relaxing one so won’t be doing it again.

01A

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful views - and quite a road. It's fun to do that kind of ride, I'm sure, but I wouldn't want to do it again, either. A little of that would be fine, but I'd want more relaxed rides. Sounds like things are still good there for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Borrego Springs with all it's scenic wonders & things to see & do is one of our all time favorite southwest places. Wished there was an easy way to bring my bike along with us when we travel, but..............

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone that has pretty much come to the end of my riding days after 30+ years and approaching 70 I'd suggest even though that road is not relaxing, riding it will help keep you alive and able to ride the easier ones better - longer - safer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful ride. You are certainly keeping your senses working riding that kind of road. That is probably a good thing once in awhile. Keep you on your toes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've all had a few "once was enough" rides. Mine was in a helicopter. Glad you got to do this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just proud of ya, that's all!! Merry Christmas an a Healthy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We drove that road the first time we were there four years ago. I was hanging onto my seat by my fingernails! It was the first "curvy" road John had driven the Winnebago. I don't think I would let him do it with our Tiffin Bus!

    YOU DESERVE A BADGE OF COURAGE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Thanks Sass. I can't wait to ride that section of highway...and man, do we have different definitions of relaxing. Merry Christmas..got yer tree up yet.. :)


    ReplyDelete
  9. I will put that road on my have to ride list. Looks like a lot of fun. MERRY CHRISTMAS

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hola D,

    MERRY CHRISTMAS
    Bob
    Chillan Chile

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a ride! We did this in our van last spring. That was scary enough for me. Merry Christmas to you, hope we see you next winter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happiest of happy Christmas' Sass. your gift surely is your life. I am happy for u and cannot wait to join the ranks of the RV Riders :)

    Ride On....

    ReplyDelete