Saturday, December 14, 2013

BORREGO SPRINGS SCULPTURES

The day after I arrived here Jean & Skip took me into ‘town’ to see the sights.  We drove through this quaint and adorable little place.

Then we drove up this Mountain that was full of sharp curves and switchbacks.  I was told the elevation is about 4,000’ but we didn’t go all the way up.  Gotta do that one day on the bike.

I noticed ‘something’ on the side of the road that I thought was perhaps another sculpture.  I said “Oh, Look at that !”  Skip glanced over and immediately pulled off the road.

Do you see it ?

13

There were TWO !!  Here’s a close – up.

14

These creatures were absolutely amazing, standing completely still right on the edge of the mountain.

15

17

Far off in the distance is the Salton Sea – now that’s another story.  I’m hoping to explore that a little bit one day on the bike…..well maybe ???

16

Then we drove around and they showed me just a few of the sculptures that are all around the town.

“Dennis Avery, land owner of Galleta Meadows Estates in Borrego Springs envisioned the idea of adding 'free standing art' to his property with original steel welded sculptures created by 'Perris Jurassic Park' owner/artist/welder Ricardo Breceda based in Perris, California.

“….thanks to the artwork of Ricado Breceda, you can see large metal sculptures of these ancient creatures on display in Borrego Springs. There are more than 130 sculptures throughout the valley, including animals that live here today, important figures in Borrego Springs history, and others that are purely fanciful!”

18

They are truly awesome to look at and admire the detail that went into each one.

19

20

The tail of this dragon is on one side of the road…

22

And the rest of its body is on the other side.

21

I think this one was one of my favourites !

23

24

We only saw a few and as stated before, there are over one hundred of these around town.

Just google Borrego Springs and you will find a ton of information.

And the day was still not over.  As we headed back to our spot we met two fellow Bloggers.  One is a very famous Blogger – some would say INFAMOUS !!  And I would agree.  But more about that in my next post.

9 comments:

  1. We saw some of those amazing sculptures. The easy ones right by the road. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I love the Bighorns. We saw those at Walker Lake in NV but I didn't have the camera out in time to get their picture. Just incredible to see them. Some day we're going to see those sculptures in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We saw a few as well and had no idea there sooo many of them. Truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this sass...I'm livin' vicariously through you until I can get out there in RV/Bike land myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have to agree with you, the jeep one we think is our favorite as well, just love the area around there, but sad to say won't be able to make it until end of January, can hardly wait

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi neighbor! Do you have our card with phone and e-mail info? We should exchange contact info... it's too far to yell :). We have your card with blog info, but that's all. Look forward to getting together soon. Dianne & Tom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky You getting to "shot" those Bighorns!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! Those Bighorns are gorgeous, and to see them up close, in person. Lucky you for sure!

    I love the sculptures. I don't know if I've seen them - when I was there twice for weekends in Borrego Springs we stayed close to home and the town area - but the dinosaur looks familiar. Maybe I've seen a picture of it. I've got to get over there one of these years. It looks like an interesting place to spend some time in The Palms. :)

    ReplyDelete