Friday, November 29, 2013

JUST HANGING OUT IN YUMA

Before leaving Q and knowing I was going to be filling up my fresh water tank, I gave Bennie a bath.  He was gray from all the desert dust.  The shower was full of sand when I finished.

01

He’s back to being his very handsome self again and likes to prance around.

02

Then he likes to do this little scuffle with the towels…

Shortly after arriving in Yuma we had a HUGE thunder, lightening and wind storm.  Now this is a sight you don’t often see in Yuma…..

01

Thankfully I had already been to the Yuma Library so had lots of books to read.  We were stuck inside for TWO days !!  Nothing you could do but hunker down under the quilts and wait it out.

Everything outside got thrashed.

07

My little guy is terrified of thunder.  Bennie very seldom wants to be on the couch with me.  And even when he does, it’s at the end of it.

This is more his style of lounging at night.

07

But when he’s frightened well then he wants to be as close to me as possible.

06

Once the thunder stopped he resumed his position…

02

Next up was getting my batteries looked at.  I had (6) 6V batteries installed last year complete with the watering system.  Well every time I went to fill them one of the cells would leak over on the battery and then on the floor of the compartment.  That’s ACID Folks !!

03

Discount Solar in Quartzsite did this install for me last year and I stopped in there on my way out of Quartzsite. They were very busy and didn’t have time to check out the problem that day.  They did tell me about a place in Yuma – where they get their batteries from – that would look at it for me no charge.  They even called ahead for me.

This was the problem !!  This is the cap that goes on the battery cell from the watering system.  It’s not supposed to be broken like that.

He put on a new one and everything is now working as it should.

04

Arizona sunsets are breathtaking…

05

And as you can see, there is no shortage of space when you boondock in the desert.

06

Next up was a problem with my Hot Water.  I would turn it on and it would light for a second and then go out.  I checked the obvious things ie fuses, breakers, propane turned on etc. etc.  but still no go.

I e-mail Jean and told her about the problem and she offered up Skip to come have a look at it.

10

After testing and checking the obvious it still wouldn’t stay on. Next thing you know he had almost everything apart !!!  G U L P !!

14

And then comes along an RV neighbour who gave his two cents worth….

15

He figured the problem was this ‘board’ and suggested we take it over to Al’s RV to get it tested. Yes, Something else taken completely apart !!  I thought I wasn’t going to have a nerve left !!!  He DOES know what he’s doing…..right ????

16

Whatever this ‘board’ thing is, it tested OK.  So that wasn’t the problem.  Al sent Skip back to check something else.

By this time it’s getting well into the afternoon and nobody had had lunch.  We were starving !!

Stopped in at the Daybreakers Cafe – had never eaten there before – BUT had a feeling it was going to be good ‘cause it’s right next to a Truck Stop and it’s where all the Truckers eat.

Can’t remember what concoction this was that Skip ordered.  But he ate every single bit of it !!

03

Jean went with pancakes and said they were delicious.

04

I went with an omelette.  Damn it was GOOD !!

05

With full tummies back at it we (and by ‘we’ I mean Skip) went.  SUDDENLY it worked !!!???  Turns out there was some crude on a wire and all Skip did was scrape it off.

12A

OK, So what was next ?  Oh yes, Check the water filter and pump screen.

Those of you who follow regularly will remember that I got some really bad water at some point in my fresh water tank.  The water filter was BROWN and the screen on the pump was completely clogged up with gunk !!

This is what it looks like now.

01

Clean as a whistle !!

02

Susan and Leon drop by for a visit !!  I met these great Folks through Jamie & Mudder last year – or was it the year before ??  Oh who can remember these things.

Poor guys are from the Canadian Prairie Provinces – but I try not to hold that against them.  I’m sure I’ll see them again over the Winter.

03

I had quite a long list of things to do when I arrived in Yuma and I’m still trying to cross off things.  The RV needed an oil and filter change and off we go to get that done.

You will notice my little Bennie doing a great job of Supervising.

01

Looks like I needed a new Air Filter also….

02

The biggest ant hills I’ve ever seen in my life are here in Arizona !!  You can’t see them in this picture but there were a gazillion of them !!

03

Now to get the rig washed – FINALLY !!

04

This Company offers a wash and HAND wax AND roof treatment for $99.00 !!!

05

06

While all this was going on Bennie went around to make sure all the bushes were watered.

08

“Oh look Mom, I found one that wasn’t.”

09

Yes, They even did the windows.  The guy on the roof is putting the roof treatment on.

10

I was THRILLED with the result.  There are numerous ‘mobile’ RV Wash Companies in Yuma but this is the one I chose.

11

And you can’t beat the price !!

12

No room on your roof for a Solar Panel ??  No worries – put it on the window !!

07

“Mom, Will you stop banging away on that computer  – I’m trying to sleep here !!”

08

Next week it’s the bike’s turn to get pampered.  First servicing and then properly washed – yes, there is even a ‘mobile’ service here in Yuma for motorcycle washes !!

After that I think I’ll head back to Q for a few weeks.

And people will often ask “Do you ever get bored?”

9 comments:

  1. That's one luck dog. Hope he knows it. (Does any dog?) Have you ever thought of a "Thunder shirt" for him? My dog-in-law wears one when it's thundering out. Seems to give the dog a sense of security. I think his is an old kids t-shirt.
    Looks like you had a busy few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skip says he left four fries. Your rig looks good, $99.00 is a good price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are definitely going to make an appointment with those guys when we are in Yuma. Need to work around those dentist appointments also. And you're right, who has time to be bored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geez, $99 is less than I've paid. Usually my little 24 footer is around $150. Great price!

    I wondered what you were up to. It sounds like you are getting lots done, that's good. I always feel good when my list is checked off.

    Bennie looks like he's enjoying Yuma. Such a little cutie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. aarh! You've had nasty weather and you've had great weather. We've had our rig washed and waxed by locals in several places. They usually do a fantastic job. At least they do a better job than we do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY BIRTHDAY Cuz! Hope you're enjoying your time in the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are one busy lady! Great price for making the RV all pretty for the holidays. You might want to order a Thunder Shirt for Bennie, it works great for our girls. They used to try and get between the RV toilet and the wall during thunder, now with the shirt they just sit beside us and shake a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Try thundershirt to soothe Bennie's fear of thunderstorms. Find at thundershirt.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Denise... enjoy following along with you and look forward to seeing you again in Q. And, if you do end up coming to Borrego Springs, please let us know... would enjoy a visit! Be well, Dianne & Tom

    ReplyDelete