Sunday, April 7, 2013

YAKIMA, WA – BELLEVUE, WA

It started out not a bad day.  Crossed into my last State before I go back into Canada – Washington.

01

Driving conditions were good – but still LOTS of climbing….wicked on the gas mileage.

02

03

Jeeze, At this point I think I was singing “Climb every mountain”.

04

And of course as the old saying goes – “What goes up must come down”.  And DOWN we went – my ears even popped !!

05

Even had some nice scenery to look at.

06

AND THEN I RAN INTO THIS !!!!

07

It just got worse and worse……

08

Did I make a wrong turn ??  Am I now somewhere in the North Pole ??

09

Yes, The lights were FLASHING !

10

Cripes, doesn’t this area realize it’s almost the middle of April !!

11

12

I later looked up Snoqualmie Pass on the Internet:

“Snoqualmie Pass The elevation of the pass summit is 3,022 feet (921 m), The rapidly changing conditions require special cautions, relayed to motorists via variable message displays along I-90. Depending on traction they may call for tire chains to be installed, usually on large trucks but occasionally on smaller vehicles as well. Chain-up areas are provided along the side of the Interstate to facilitate the placement of chains. The pass has been subjected to closures when weather conditions become extreme.”

13

You know you’re in serious mountain/ski country when you see Chalets and Ski Lifts !

14

YIKES !

15

16

I was not driving anywhere near 65 MPH !

17

A few short (4-6 seconds each) videos of this part of the drive.  Although now that I’ve looked at the videos they don’t show it near as bad as it was !

Not hard to tell you are coming into a larger City.  Multiple lanes and TWO traffic accidents.

18

I think this is where you can continue on I-90W or start going North now via I-405N.  So major lane changing and merging going on.

19

Now I know poor BEA is having a heart attack here seeing all the pictures and videos I’ve taken WHILE DRIVING.  Rest assured Bea, the camera is always on my lap and easy to reach. I know where the buttons are to press so my eyes never leave the road.  I click, click, click and hope that I get something worth seeing when I download them in the evening.  I delete a lot.

I woke up this morning FREEZING !!  Even by 9:30AM it was still only 42F/5C.  Don’t like them temps !!

10 comments:

  1. Boy, we timed it right. A week ago it was nothing like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you don't have any more of that kind of travel. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That certainly wouldn't be our favorite route at all. I have a Hero GoPro camera. You attach it to your mirror and hit the remote to turn on a digital still or a video. Safe, easy and fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a better way, for sure.
      Yep, I was not feeling good seeing all these photos and VIDEO clips and Denise writing about AWFUL driving, MERGING and LANE CHANGE with her camera in her lap. Even if she knows where the buttons are...
      UGHH, UGHH!

      Delete
  4. Those photos make me happy that we are still in southern California. Wish you were here. Be safe out there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had some of those ups and downs today--several 7% downhill grades. At least they were short ones. And I was in the Texas Hill Country so I didn't have to deal with snow. I do NOT envy you Canadians who have deadlines to meet going home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been following you a while. Just had to say how much I enjoy your Blog. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey.. no snow on the road. You're fine girl! No problemo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least you have me and my concerns on your mind LOL!

    What a drive. I would be half dead coming to the next night's stop.
    That's the difference between a Sassy and a Chicken. ;))
    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete