Sunday, April 14, 2013

AIR MILES

I’ve been collecting AirMiles since it first started and redeem the points collected fairly regularly.  There are no taxes nor shipping fees on anything you redeem.

It occurred to me this morning to check AirMiles for those point and shoot cameras – like the one I had (and loved) and the one I just bought.

I found this one:

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/RewardsProductDetails?productId=prod1894358&cm_sp=Rewards+Product-_-Thumbnails-Products-_-prod1894358

 

I ORDERED IT !!  So I’ll be returning the camera I just bought !!

Then I thought to check to see if they offered a GPS.  Their selection was limited to only three.  And only one of them being a Garmin.

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/RewardsProductDetails?productId=prod1874568&cm_sp=Rewards+Product-_-Thumbnails-Products-_-prod1874568

Here’s what it says about it:

“Garmin nuvi® 2595LMT

Let nüvi 2595LMT lead the way with its big 5'' (12.7cm) touchscreen display and powerful navigation features.

It includes free lifetime traffic and map updates, voice activation and more. With its innovative voice-activated navigation, you can control nüvi 2595LMT with your voice - allowing you to keep both hands on the wheel. Simply wake up nüvi with a customizable voice command and begin speaking menu options that are clearly displayed on the screen. When you’re stopped, you can still control the nüvi using its intuitive touchscreen interface.

  • View routes on the 5'' (12.7cm) touchscreen
  • Navigate hands-free with voice-activated navigation
  • Enjoy FREE lifetime map and traffic updates
  • Avoid traffic tie-ups with 3D traffic, subscription-free live traffic updates from the extensive traffic avoidance system
  • Know which lane to be in, thanks to advanced lane guidance with exclusive photoReal junction view
  • Use in portrait or landscape mode
  • Make hands-free calls
  • See what’s coming with Enhanced Exit Services
  • Get fast route calculations and address lookups with Garmin Guidance 2.0”

 

I ORDERED IT !!

Now if this thing sends me down country roads and into residential areas, I’m coming back to haunt each and every one of you guys who have been nagging me to get a GPS !!  LOL

13 comments:

  1. Jeanie and I decided to give Google a chance on her I-pad to a location we have been many times. It only made 6 wrong turns in 12 miles. We were thinking about buying a GPS when we leave in June.

    What was I thinking????? DUH I dont even need a map ( except for BLM and forest service) for this trip that will run from mid June thru Mid Oct. We are going to the Texas Panhandle for a school reunion then to Northern NM and Southern CO until it cools off, then to Jacksonville FL to pick up our Vintage Vehicle and Back here to Orange county CA.

    I think your GPS on the steering wheel is the only way to go unless you are in to the tourist type stuff. Give me a paper map any day. On occasion when I have been in an area I didn't know I did exactly what you did. LOL I remember taping directions over the Bulldog on a Mack truck steering wheel from Pampa, TX to Bay City, TX (From the top to the bottom of the state) in about 1963.

    Having logged over 1,000,000 miles in a 18 wheeler, many before the interstates, I Trust a map a lot more than I do a GPS. As far as I am concerned they are a great toy but not to be taken as a serious tool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I forgot all about Airmiles. Can't collect them in Europe, but have been snagging a couple here and there since we've been home. I just checked on that site you posted, and I have enough for a camera too! I'm full up in the camera department though, but that was fun. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what great deals!!! I'm jealous. That GPS looks unbeatable too! I'm jealous.

    Did I mention I'm jealous in case you didn't hear me???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you talking about Visa points or the blue Air Miles points like what we collect at Safeway etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I checked the link. I am going to check our points. We need a new camera.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love our garmin. but I've gotten lazy in my old age. Most the time I use the GPS (maps) on my iphone. By the way, we always have a regular current map with us. Happy for you that you were able to get both the camera and the Garmin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to have those points to use. The new GPS should be an interesting experiment for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing what you can get for free. It's like coupons and it's not just Airmiles, we've bought Christmas in the past just from American Express points.... however, that's when Terry was working and not so unusual for him to chalk up $10k a month on it. Things have changed and it takes longer now to get those points.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm betting you will be thrilled with the new GPS. Combine that with a bit of map knowledge and you'll never go the wrong way or take the wrong turn. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice on both counts. I especially like the new Garmin - maybe that will be my next GPS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You will love your Canon. They take awesome pictures. I have had a few others like Nilon HATED IT! then I bought a Kodak HATED IT! But I LOVE, LOVE my Canon. And looking to upgrade soon. I use it for nature shots I don't like doing people.

    I guess they have improved the garmin. I had the same experience as you did that the thing would say turn left here and it was a wall.
    Have fun with your new toys.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Be aware that how soon it says turn depends on how fast you are driving. If you slow down a lot just before you get to the turn it can misalign. Just don't take it too literally and you'll be fine. One of the things I like about my Garmin is when I decide to take a different route (or miss a turn) it is quick to give me a new route.

    ReplyDelete