Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A VERY WINDY DRIVING DAY

Another 185 Miles behind me today in awful windy conditions.  A tight and steady BOTH HANDS on the wheel was required for most of the driving.  Must have been coming from the West ‘cause the rig was struggling just to get to 60MPH.

Woke up in Burley this morning FREEZING !!  Temperature online said 45F/7C.  But the rig keeps the overnight low temps IN so it was definitely much colder inside.  Even had to resort to turning on the furnace in combination with my Mr. Heater.  Thankfully later today I’ll be in Nampa, ID where (at the same hour) it is 56C/13C.

I made several stops today because I am looking for this gizmo that you put on your rear dualies.  Apparently there is such a thingie whereby you attach it to the two valves and it ‘equalizes’ the air pressure in both tires and you only have to use one outlet to fill both.  No luck in finding it !

Four days now on the road and I must say I am liking this route.  There’s always the ‘dance’ with the 18 wheelies but not nearly as much going this way.

I haven’t stopped at a Harley Davidson now in months and months and months !  Right ??

AND I don’t have a t-shirt from Idaho as I’ve never been to this State before.  This one again was MASSIVE !  Hundreds of bikes inside and out and tons of merchandise.

02

They even had a parking lot big enough for ‘Da Hulk – which I knew before going there because I checked the address on Google.

Special parking for the motorcycles.

01

And yes, I got the obligatory t-shirt.  I do like the back of this one.

03

Another stop today was at Camping World.  I had to buy another one of these:

04

Yes, Another string broke.  How much do I HATE these blinds.  I’ve already re-strung three of them but those were for the small windows.  This will be the first one for the double window.

06

In order to do the re-stringing you have to take the frame off.

07

Part of it is wedged up under the cupboards and another part is wedged down behind the couch.  I don’t think I’ll be tackling that for awhile !!

Arrived at Wally’s, Nampa, ID at around 5:00PM to a sun filled sky and a balmy 74F/23C.   Perfect temperature – think I’ll stay here !

Hey, I only have just over 600 Miles left to go.  Figure I should be able to do that in the next 7 days right ?

17 comments:

  1. I cant believe you are having that much trouble with your blinds. Are you sure Bennie isn't using the string to floss his teeth? LOL Our rig is 14 yrs. old and we haven't ever changed one string. If we ever have a problem we know who to contact. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are yours the night ones only or the day/night ?

      Delete
  2. You might just be pushing it to do the 600 miles in 7 days. Glad your weather warmed up a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warmer weather + happier campers! I think that shades were made by the devil to torment everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Denise...Are you planning on coming up 97A?.I'm North of Wenatchee.
    If you are stopping at Confluence State Park I'd like to say "Howdy".
    It's been very nice weatherwise the past few days...Getting a little down towards the weekend.
    Ride Safe,
    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, Figure I'll be sticking with the 87W to I-5 North route.

      Delete
  5. R.: those "strings", we have the same problem in our new trailer. They start to fuzz up and then...they break. We have ordered (on warranty) a complete new shade. I wouldn't ant to get "stringed up".
    Stay warm up north!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blind strings (day/night) in the motor-home never broke. Not in the 3 years we owned it. I used them as often as I used the ones in the trailer. Wonder what brand that was.

      Delete
  6. We need new blinds but not sure what we'll end up with. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The MCD ones have a very good name - but very expensive.

      Delete
  7. The tire equalizers are good in theory but if one tire blows the other goes flat as well. That is something I would stay away from and would advise you to do the same. Leaving each tire as a separate unit allows you to limp your rig to the shoulder and less chance of a roll-over.

    Your best bet is when replacing your tires have the longer stainless steel valve stems put on so you can easily fill both tires very easily from the outside. A cheaper fix if the tires are still good is flexible valve stems for the inside dual. Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you coming here? To the place we told you about? Doug can restring blinds without taking them down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Don't figure I'll be there until later in the Summer.

      Delete
  9. Warmer is gooder..... I am surprised that you only had one comment on the tire pressure equalizers. I thought about everyone had tried them at some time. The set that I had had a check valve in them so that if one tire went flat the other didn't. I agree with Rick get longer valve stems. The connection where the equalizers connected to the valve stem slowly leaked on mine. Valve extensions have a tendency to do the same thing. It is a hard leak to find because it is so slow but none the less over time the tire looses pressure. Longer value stems can only leak at the rim or the valve core. Less bells and whistles means less problems IMHO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These equalizers thingies are not cheap at about $150 for two. I'll be getting the valve stem extensions !

      Delete
  10. I hate those day/night shades. I took mine down and put sheer curtains up for daytime and Reflectix inserts for night time. You do have to store the Reflectix somewhere but I have no strings to break now. Except in the bathroom but when it breaks I'll just use the cover that protects the window when showering.

    ReplyDelete