Monday, March 25, 2013

VEGAS–PART 6

RESTING – CHORES – LAKE MEAD

After my incident of ‘riding’ The Strip I needed a few days off.  I was still tired and my shoulder was still nagging me a little.

Did I mention that my new ‘home’ also has a pool and hot tub ?

01

02

So I started to putter around to start to ‘try’ to get some of the desert dust/sand out of the rig.  I don’t think it will ever be all out.

And Bennie, as always, front and centre helping !!

03

I used my new battery watering system for the first time.  LOVE IT !!  Everybody should have one – especially if, like me, you now have six batteries.  The tubes are all hooked up to the batteries so all I have to do is pop the adaptor on and put the open end into the distilled water jug and pump.

06

I marked where it was at before I started so I would know how much water the batteries took.  Took it all !  They must have been thirsty !

07

LAKE MEAD

“Lake Mead is the largest reservoir in the United States in maximum water capacity. It is located on the Colorado River about 24 mi (39 km) from the Strip southeast of Las Vegas, Nevada, in the states of Nevada and Arizona. Formed by the Hoover Dam, Lake Mead is 112 miles (180 km) long when the lake is full, has 550 miles (890 km) of shoreline, is around 500 feet at greatest depth, has 247 square miles (640 km2) of surface, and when filled to capacity, 28 million acre-feet of water. However, the lake has not reached this capacity in more than a decade, due to increasing droughts.”

Now that is one BIG Lake !!

Dean offered to take me to Lake Mead and show me around.  I was curious about it as I had read there are FREE boondocking places there.

There are also places with full-hook-ups (don’t know the price) and several places where you can dry camp for $10.00 a day.  I like FREE better.

Can you see the rigs way down there ??  No idea how they got them there ‘cause I wouldn’t dream of taking my rig there !!

04

I wasn’t overly impressed with Lake Mead.  I found it to be quite barren and desolate.

You need one of these suckers (Dean’s Jeep) to drive around this particular boondocking area.

05

But the whole area is so large and it has great winding roads in great condition.  Would make for a wonderful motorcycle ride through there.  But stay on the pavement !!  LOL

4 comments:

  1. So where's the picture of you in the hot tub with an umbrella drink?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bennie is so helpful. And always available to lend a hand... He has you so well trained. LOL I mean you have him so well trained.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you like some help from Oliver and Olivia?

    ReplyDelete

  4. What? You don't read my blog? We boondock at the Wildlife Refuge at Overton which is just about 10 miles from the lake, near Valley of Fire. Totally free. Sign says 8 day maximum but they don't care. We have been here a month. Love it.

    ReplyDelete