Thursday, March 28, 2013

HOOVER DAM

Today Bennie and I packed a lunch, put a book in the saddlebags and off we went to see the Hoover Dam.  We passed the exit coming here while in the Motorhome.  But it was a short 40 mile ride back on yet another GORGEOUS day here in Las Vegas !

The ride there and coming back was fantastic and I only got lost twice.  Once trying to get there and once trying to find my way back.  LOL

The first thing we encountered was a very long back-up of traffic just getting through the “Inspection Checkpoint”.

Following the September 11, 2001 attacks, checkpoints were established to provide security control by restricting certain vehicles from crossing the dam.”

This was the line-up behind me.

01

It was insanely busy with bumper to bumper stop and go traffic.  Jeeze, don’t people stay home anymore !!  It was the middle of the week in frikkin’ March and yet there still were thousands of people going through there.  When I got home Dean reminded me it was Spring Break.   Ahhhh.

07

Getting through the main congested area wasn’t fun because again the pipes just got too stinkin’ HOT.  There are numerous parking lots and pull-out areas and the first one I saw I pulled in to let Bennie out and give him some water and mainly to let the pipes cool down.

Although I was RIGHT THERE I never got to see the actual Dam.  That would have involved parking the bike and a LOT of walking and it was too hot for that.  To say nothing of trying to get through the people.

02

But despite that it really is an impressive area to see….

03

This is where we found a lovely spot to sit back and have lunch.  See my feet !!  I relaxed there for awhile and read my book.

04

05

I was entertained by several chipmunks (?) scurrying around trying to get nibbles of food.

06

08

Next up – Caesars Palace !  We did that the other night but I took sooooo many pics and videos I haven’t had a chance to sort through them yet.

5 comments:

  1. D.....re your previous post
    Answer....Dicor Self Leveling Sealant...available at most RV outlets.......
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things have been crazy around here with Spring Break also. People everywhere. But you got some great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We been walking the very same grounds. And yes it is a long walk to see the dam. Shoulda been here - not hot but coooool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it amazing that you can go through all that and not see the actual dam??? I always forget about Spring Break. But in spite of that (you can always see photos), sounds like a really fun day. I'd guess anytime you get the bike out on a beautiful day, it's a good day for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did see the dam. Its right in your pictures silly.

    ReplyDelete