Thursday, January 10, 2013

IT’S A BIG DESERT

Yesterday while I was musing over my spot here at Q I figured at least 100 rigs could fit just in the ‘opening’ area that I am in.  That should have been my first clue.  LOL

I watched a rig pull in yesterday morning and look where he parked !  There must be hundreds (thousands ?) of acres of land here to boondock yet some people still want to park right next to you !!

02

And then I watched him go up to the road and put signs out.   Ahhhhhh, There’s a group coming in here.  The various groups (and there are tons of them) put signs out by the road to let others in their group know where they are.  You see a LOT of that this time of year in the desert.

OH NO !!!  It’s that ESCAPEE crowd.  And we all know how rowdy that bunch can get.  Pfffttt !

Running around the desert in their  NOISY JAG

– or -

Constantly nagging at me until I agreed to let them help me TOW THE BIKE out of the sand

– or -

Overseeing every step as my SOLAR WAS INSTALLED making sure I got the best work and product there is

I could give you tons more examples but you get the picture.  They are nothing was a nuisance and to be avoided at all costs !!  LOL

03

This is what Bennie has to say about this bunch…..

04

And if that’s not bad enough they are a group of ‘Solo’s’.  I can just hear my Mother saying now “How nice that you’ll have a bit of company around.”

03

Yesterday I took a run into Yuma on the bike. I had several errands to do plus with the COLD forecast ahead I figured it might be awhile before I get a run again.

Despite the fact that the “Big Tent” doesn’t open until next week – the 19th - Quartzsite appears to be in full swing. I didn’t stop to take any pics, however, as I went through the main intersection it seemed that all the Vendors are already here and open for business.

BONE CHILLING WEATHER AHEAD

BTW, Propane at Cactus Propane in Yuma is now $1.79 a Gallon.  How can the propane dealers in the Phoenix area justify over $1.00 a Gallon more !!??  As I mentioned before, we are in for several days of bone chilling temps – with overnight LOWS of below freezing.

But Folks let’s put that into perspective here.  I’ve been reading on Facebook that my hometown is also in for some nasty weather.  Here’s what it says online…..

“Total snowfall amounts will range from 25 centimetres (that’s almost a foot) over the Terra Nova area to near 70 centimetres (that’s over 2 feet) over the Northern Avalon and St. John's Metro area with locally higher amounts possible. Winds will steadily increase tonight with gusts reaching 120 km/hour (that’s over 74 MPH) by Friday morning. These high winds, combined with the heavy snow, will give near zero visibilities and blizzard conditions tonight and Friday.”

‘Nuff said – I will NOT complain about the COLD.

Today more of those Escapee people started to arrive…

Two more right across from me….this pic was taken from inside my rig.

01

Another one pulled up there…

02

But he decided he was just too far from me so settled in here……

06

Oh the Generators will be roaring tonight – and I dare say mine will be included this time !

16 comments:

  1. Hey! They're crashing your party! You should charge an entrance fee! Or, at least make a list of stuff you need done around the rig!

    Soundslike you're going to have some good stories to share in the near future! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard they're a pretty nice group. I do know our generator will be roaring when we get there tomorrow. At least with their sign we know how to find you. You can run but you can't hide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Cyn ! I sure have a long list of things that need fixing around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandie, We're gonna need everything we have running in order to stay warm over the next days.

    Today has been overcast all day and my Mr. Heater hasn't been turned off all day.

    Let me know when/where you get settled and I'll be moving over there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! You do seem to attract a crowd. I'm trying to decide whether to get to Q-site on Sat. as planned or stay here till it warms up. (However Tucson has possible snow in the forecast). I'm not winterized. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I'm not winterized either and I figure nobody here is. I'm sure our rigs will be ok for the few frosty nights.

      Delete
  6. I'll bet the Escapees Solo group would be fun. I still wouldn't want to camp TOO close to them, though.

    Here's my latest spreadsheet entry for propane:

    $30.15 Propane - Westmart, Carlsbad, CA
    8.1 gal @$3.49/gal plus tax

    That's highway robbery, right? Your propane prices are looking pretty good to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, Ya that price is outrageous when you know it is being sold for $1.79 in Yuma. You expect Q to be a little higher but not by so much.

      Delete
  7. Well, hey, I'm a ESCAPEE AND A SOLO! Wish I was there with the group. They really are a great bunch of people. Happy Hour is at 4, you should join in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I think you ought to pack up and head a little south .. not far but just down to the south LTVA where Sandie is heading. At least you'll know the rowdy group that's around. It's going to be cold in Yuma and Phoenix too ... nothing we can do but just wait out the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeri, That's the plan. I'll move over there sometime on the weekend. And after reading about the weather in my home town - well..... Let's just say I'm really glad to be here in Arizona !!

      Delete
  9. Wanderin its even cold in Mexico. :) The wind has already been whipping around here in Tucson and I had to cover up the few plants I have out there. We are all getting ready for this hard freeze. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Methinks the temperatures will keep them pretty much bundled up and inside. The cold will do that. I didn't see any snow machines, so I suspect that the cold isn't something that's considered to be part of their "lifestyle".

    ReplyDelete
  11. butterbean carpenterJanuary 11, 2013 at 3:49 PM

    Howdy Sassy,
    Well, what about the campfires, Mark Nemeth can't breathe without smoke
    in his nose and without the dare-devil Dennis Hill doing his famous death-defying 4-wheeler FLIP-OVER, what'll y'all do for fun!!! It's supposed to be shorts & tee-shirt weather in Arizona AND NICK RUSSELL IS STILL IN FLORIDA; don't blame the Nixter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have NO idea where you are, but we left a place where there were hardly any campers to come camp with friends in an area with more RVrs. We will see how we like it. BUT, we do get to be with friends here rather than ourselves at the other place. Meeting fellow bloggers will be fun, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still on Plomosa Rd - about 2 miles in I figure - you can't miss that big yellow SOLO sign. But I'm going over to La Posa South either tomorrow or Sunday.

      Delete