Tuesday, January 8, 2013

HUNKERED DOWN IN Q

And I’m not budging for three weeks – that’s how long I can go before I have to do the tanks.

So I start of this relaxing period with a full tank of gas; a full tank of fresh water; empty black and grey (or is that gray ??) tanks and lots of food in the fridge.

I didn’t get to do all my setup today as it was late in the afternoon by the time I got here.  But I did get the priorities done – panels up for maximum solar input – as Bennie ponders life while enjoying the view and the awesome peace and quiet.

01

And I got the bike out.  Jeez, It feels like so long since I’ve had the bike out.

02

Guess he’s finished pondering life now ‘cause if there is anything laying on the floor it’s fair game for him to rest on.  BTW, He’s completely back to himself but I’m still putting hot water in his dry food to soften it up.  He’s eating a LOT more this way than he used to so I’ll have to watch that.

03

Here’s the finished product on the ramp door.  And as Rene said in the comments from yesterday’s post – I sure hope the work holds up and I’ll be trouble free – at least for awhile.

02

Propane (in Yuma) is $1.89 a Gallon.  In Phoenix (the cheapest place I could find it) it was $2.75 a Gallon !!!  Here in Q it is also $2.75 a Gallon.  So if you are coming to Q from Yuma fill up on your Propane there !

Speaking of propane, we’re gonna be going through lots of it in the next week.  A COLD front is coming through starting Friday with the HIGH only going to 52F/11C and the overnight LOW of 25F/-4C !!  And Friday is going to be one of the ‘warmer’ days during this COLD FRONT.  One day next week it is forecasted for a HIGH OF 46F/8C and a LOW of 21F/-6C.

I’ve been FREEZING in the mornings (while in Phoenix) and it hasn’t been anywhere near that cold.  Thank gawd I was plugged in ‘cause I had my Mr. Heater going, the furnace on AND my electric heater on.

What oh what am I going to do next week ??  Should I be worrying about pipes/water freezing or the slides ??  I’ve never been in these cold temps since I started full timing.  This forecast is right through to next Thursday the 17th.

11 comments:

  1. I'm cold just reading about the weather! So, where are you? It looks empty and it should be packed with lots of RVs by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jeri, I sure am dreading the cold that we're gonna get. I am on Plomosa Rd. and not a lot of rigs around. I came in via the 10 so didn't pass the LTVA's which I'm sure are crowded. Will scoot by there tomorrow to have a look see.

      Delete
    2. Post some pictures when you do. We're delaying our trip into Q. Strong winds are expected on Thursday and those freezing temperatures at night aren't appealing to me. How come you're there and not at the LTVA where we're going to be ????????

      Delete
    3. Well seein' as I'm gonna 'sneak' into that LTVA (read: don't wanna pay the $$) I figured I'd wait until you guys get here to go there.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you'll need to bundle up, even when you're sleeping! We were in NM a year ago last October and they had just had overly freezing weather. It's hard on them there, they're just not prepared for weather that cold. I hope someone can give you good advice on what to do so your rig and important parts don't freeze! Here in Michigan we're used to it, and I'm living in a house, not a RV (I'm sad about that part)...so I have no good advice to offer.

    Still..it looks beautiful there!

    My dog Katie is a blanket hog too..if there's any little piece of blanket on the floor she's on it. Silly dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are wondering just where you are. Our view looks like yours...but don't they all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do all look alike. Then again we could be parked almost next to each other and not know it. I'm on Plomosa Rd.

      Delete
  4. It can be "grey" or "gray". Makes no never mind. There's something to do with usage between English vrs. American English. I just noticed my spell check program didn't like "gray". Whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As far as things freezing, the good news is you don't have water and sewer lines out. I'm no boondocker, so the only thing I'll suggest is leaving the cabinet doors under your sinks open at night to get any heat in there from the rig interior. Is your basement ducted so heat from the furnace will get in there, too? If so, try to keep the furnace up to a temperature that will put some warm air into the basement. Good luck and snuggle up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't understand why you think you should not have to pay to be in LTVA ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are really getting blasted with cold weather this winter. Yes leave the cabinet doors to sinks open and while I understand water is precious let it drip. But I wonder if your tanks have heaters in them or under them. Newer RV's usually have heated water tanks.
    Good Luck and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete