Sunday, May 27, 2012

BACK ON THE ROAD

I’ve gotten terribly behind on my Blog Posting and my Blog Reading.  The reason for that is two-fold:

1.  The location where I was camped had painfully SLOW Internet access.  Too far from any cell tower I suppose ??

2.  I went WAY OVER on my data limit while I was sitting for almost two weeks waiting for the rig to get repaired.  Watched too much TV online.  It was an expensive bill.  I was already 1GB over before I realized it.  Unlike Verizon, Bell’s Turbo Stick does not tell me how much I’ve used.  I can go to their website though and get that information but it doesn’t pop-up (like Verizon does) each time I sign on.  Over 5GB’s I got charged 5 cents a MB – do the Math !!

So I had to really limit my usage until after my May billing.  Now I have to catch up to see where everyone is and what you are doing !!

I only got into the actual City of Toronto once.  I had forgotten how INSANE the traffic is !!  It took me 2 1/2 hours to get back home !  I did notice a few things different.

First of all were these bicycles around at different places and the cars with the logo ZIP CAR and AUTO SHARE

01

02

Perhaps these are in all major cities but I had not seen them before.  Such a wonderful idea to reduce traffic and pollution.  You can rent them by the hour/day and return them to any location.  There are hundreds of thousands of people who work and live in downtown Toronto – so why buy a car ??  Yet these are available for those few times you might need/want a vehicle.  Too bad this wasn’t available years ago – it might have prevented the gawd awful traffic there that is now 24/7.

And of course a visit into the big City is never complete without driving by the old homestead.

03

I owned this little house (less than 800 sq. ft. !) for about 15 years.  I’ve lived in many different places and many different type dwellings – but this place remains my favourite and where I have the fondest memories.

I was late getting on the road today – no surprise there – by the time I got gas, did the tanks etc. etc. it was early afternoon.

Following my trusty GPS with the directions I wrote down from Google to get to my Walmart location this is what I see !!!

01

3.7 Meters is 12 Feet 1.7 Inches.  My rig’s height is 12 Feet 10 Inches.  And, as you can see, this is a narrow country road with no place to turn around !!  Me Nerves !!

I pulled off the road as much as I could and flagged someone down to ask if there was another way I could get to Walmart.  There was (and a much easier and direct route I might add !!) and now I had to get ‘DA HULK turned around.  ONCE AGAIN, SOOOO grateful that I wasn’t in the Class C towing the little trailer.  I would have been in BIG TROUBLE !  I managed to get myself backed into a driveway and head back from the direction I came.

I still have Blogs to post but I figure this is enough of an update for today.

I really do look forward to NON EXCITING ADVENTURES as I resume my travels East.

Oh BTW, A speedy traveller I am NOT !  LOL  I left Yuma, Arizona three months ago today – and I’m still only about 1/2 way to my destination.

9 comments:

  1. Those low bridges give us the creeps. Lucky you could turn around. WE were on a 4-lane parkway and could not!!! Just had to dare it. The bridges were vaulted and we just took the middle, had the flashers out and shut our eyes. Whew...
    Rolled out the welcome mat again for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been on some roads in our car and wonder if folks ever get stuck because there were no signs getting on them and no way out. Glad you made it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We ran into one in New York but after Jim measured and remeasured and measured again, we had about an inch to spare. I closed my eyes and under we went. Not a good feeling but we made it. I know what you mean about SLOW connections. This one here in AJ has gotten worse and it was horrible before. So frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your little house! If I ever buy again, I'd love to have something just like that.

    I've never had a problem (yet) with height. The Palms is 11'6" including the A/C, so I would have been okay. I thought I looked shorter than some of the bigger Class A's. If you ever REALLY get stuck and only need to be a little lower, you can take air out of your tires to lower the Beast a bit. Better to turn around, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise: Go to www.campobellosightseeing.blogspot.com. At the bottom of the page you will have an email address to use. There is a phone # too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading your posting again: Your former Class C would probably have gone under the bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Regardless of where the house is here in Toronto, it is now around $700,000 or maybe more ...depending location!! Those Zip cars and bikes have been around here for about 4-5 years (maybe longer) time runs fast. Safe drivin....where are ya???
    HB

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! Every RVer's worst nightmare! Glad you were able to turn around! We have a trucker's atlas that is supposed to list all the low bridges on roads in each U.S. state. It has helped us a couple of times from making a BIG mistake. I don't know if there's one for Canada or not. We haven't been to Canada yet, but definitely will be in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. can't imagine having the bridge problem with our 5th wheel. however, give me a driveway and I can turn it. good to hear you made it ok.

    ReplyDelete