Monday, March 5, 2012

BORING DRIVING DAYS

A great Winter in the desert for sure for sure ! But alas, I do have a very long drive ahead of me and I don’t like to drive too far in any given day. So I’ll be seeing this sign and others with the word EAST on them for quite awhile.

07

I left Yuma and only made it as far as Gila Bend, AZ where I boondocked for the night. HEY, That’s 114 miles – plenty in one day.

Next day I got to Jim Kortsen West Pinal County Park, which is about 25 miles West of Casa Grande. Another boondocking spot and a nice place !! Met up with Lee there (the friend who helped me with my solar) and we drove to Chandler, AZ the following day to meet Jim, Sandie and Paul for lunch. Thanks for lunch Lee !

01A

At this Park Lee pointed over to this site and told me a woman and her daughter were living in their car. She had tarps all around the picnic area. Guess that was their ‘living area’.

04

They left the following day and left the tarps still up. They did say to Lee that he could have them but he didn’t have any use for them.

WELL, I may not have any use for them either – but they were FREE FOR THE TAKING – and who knows when they might come in handy. Scored 4 good tarps out of it !

The fact that I already have a couple of tarps stored somewhere in the bowls of the rig – that I haven’t had a need to use for 16 months now – MATTERS NONE !! These were FREE !! LOL

05

Plus a gazillion of those bungee thingies…

06

One stop for sure I knew I wanted to make was El Paso, TX. I had been there last year and sure was looking forward to checking out the Harley Davidson dealer again.

But I started seeing signs for Barnet’s Harley Davidson way too early. Turns out they have another location in Las Cruces, New Mexico. I just simply HAD to stop there for a peek…

01

06

07

BLUE IS MY FAVOURITE COLOUR YOU KNOW…

02

LOVE THOSE TRIKES

03

Two Sportsters triked out. Didn’t like that look so much.

0405

Naturally I stopped at the Harley dealer in El Paso also !! LOL YES, More T-Shirts added to my collection !

Here’s how Bennie travels. I put his bed on the floor in front of the passenger seat.

01

He will get out of it for awhile and lay beside it…

03

And then back in it…

04

This portion of the I-10 follows right along the Mexican Border – so Border Patrol stops are in order. I’m used to them now and they just wave me through.

02

An overnight in Van Horn, TX and tonight finds me at Wally’s in Fort Stockton, TX. It’s like an RV Convention here. Fort Stockton Wally’s is a small one with a small parking lot. Yet there’s at least 10 rigs in here.

I want to find a spot now ( FREE OF COURSE ) that I can settle into for about a week or so. And thanks to some very hard work by my EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT I do have a few lovely options up the road. Looking forward to that and getting the bike out for a scoot.

9 comments:

  1. You really are making tracks. Cute blog and slow down a little. You're moving too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have taken the tarps too. They come always handy when putting up a wind breaker. Happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love driving my rig, and your description makes me want to take off! (But I won't.) You've traveled quite a ways already.

    Bennie looks so cute in his bed - I'm glad he likes it so much. Katie likes her bed, too, and sleeps in it a lot during the day. When she's bad, I say, "Go to your bed!" and she does. So cute. Of course, that doesn't happen very often. Usually when we have company.

    Safe travels! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice score on the tarps. AND the bungees. I tend to think it's somehow bad karma to turn down free stuff. You can always pass along one or more to someone down the road who might be in need of one. Who knows? They'll be safe with you in the meanwhile.
    Enjoy the drive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you took the tarps. They might just blow away and become litter. And those looked to be very good bungies too.
    You sure are moving now. Those are all places that will soon be to hot to be. So enjoy the journey.
    Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A girl after my own heart. I would never have left tarps and specially bungees behind. I'm a bungee and duct tape gal. lol Happy trails, kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The winter must have just flown by so fast for you!! If yer headin this way, I look forward to having a ride or two with you for sure....by the way Barnett's is having a 50-70% off for ladies t shirts and stuff, I sent the email to you earlier. Safe travels.....

    HB

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I already had my rig and bike - would love to meet you while you're in Texas. When I met Glenn he said you and I had a lot in common (?). Catchin' up on your blog to see where you're headed, am behind a bit. Good for you on the tars and bungees. I wonder why they didn't take them? I wish for the mom and daughter many blessings.

    Wish me luck! I'm meeting with a salesman on Friday about an RV I'm interested in. Can't wait. I commented to Barbara that I hope he's not like the one I tried to talk to at the RV Show (LOL): http://www.dsdickinson.com/2012/02/22612-1-of-2-rv-show-schmo.html

    Bennie is so cute. You guys stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't recall the HD dealership in Las Cruces, NM being on the FANCY MAP??

    ReplyDelete