Friday, November 18, 2011

REDDING, CALIFORNIA

This driving day sure wasn’t for the faint of heart.  It started out ok and I was on the road by 8:00AM because my EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT had the fear of gawd put into me about the elevations I had to get through.

I wasn’t on the road very long though before the conditions started to deteriorate….

0102

 

And deteriorate more………….

 

0304

 

And even more !  I got behind this 18 wheelie and figured I’d stay behind him in his tracks…………

 

0506

 

When SUDDENLY……

 

0708

 

NOBODY WAS MOVING !!  I wasn’t able to see what the problem was (other than the obvious) up ahead.  Probably sat there for about 1/2 hour or more.  I wasn’t worried though ‘cause I was ‘home’.  Had food, water and heat – yup, I was good for the night and began envisioning people coming knocking at my door to be let in out of the cold !!  LOL

Then HELP TO THE RESCUE….I backed up to let them through and the car beside me did also.  But this idiot in that small car did not.  They sure had a hell of a time getting around to do the roads.

 

0910

1112

 

Look, This idiot STILL hasn’t moved out of the way !!

13

 

Once the trucks got through and sanded the roads traffic started to move again -  sure the IDIOT will move now !! I was determined to get behind the sand truck and stay there – but he lost me in no time.

14

 

 

This poor person was not having much luck…..

15

 

I continued to travel along ( SLOWLY ) in the tracks of the sand truck…

1617

1819

20

 

And it wasn’t long before the conditions improved….

2122

 

GOODBYE OREGON – HELLO CALIFORNIA  !!

2324

 

Amazing what a difference 1/2 hour makes in driving conditions….

25

 

Actually it was overcoming that 4500’ elevation instead of the 1/2 hour wasn’t it !!  This poor guy wasn’t having a good day either.  From a distance it looked like the whole car was on fire.

26

 

I still had a few more STEEP hills to get though….

27

 

And the closeness of that snow on that mountain caused me some concern….

28

But the rest of the driving day was clear sailing.  Now surely to goodness I won’t encounter any more days like this !!

Drove 189miles/304kms today but it sure seemed like much more than that.

Tomorrow is going to be a very slow day for me I expect !

14 comments:

  1. Glad you made it safely---what conditions you had to go through besides the elevations!!!!!!

    Take a day of rest tomorrow---you've had quite the week.

    You missed a 4.6 earthquake this morning in Omak Washington---felt in Osoyoos, Oliver & area---so you got out just in time !!!!!

    Take care, Lynn. Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to read that you are safe. Been worried about you all day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I have already told my boss off but she thinks I should make a comment on the blog. As her EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT I have to put the fear of "gawd" in her because that is the only way she gets her "arse" in gear and does what needs to be done. Months ago, she fretted, hmmed and hawed about driving through Seattle because of all the nasty traffic. Sassy stopped just south of Seattle on a Saturday night, was tired so she was going to overnight again Sunday south of Seattle. I blasted her at 8:00am and told her to get off her arse and drive north. A couple of emails later that said get in that driver's seat and drive, she was on the road and through Seattle on a Sunday before people even had their morning coffee. I.E. no stress about traffic. My constant prodding gets Sassy where she needs to go when she wants to be there and as safely as I can guarantee from my computer. She makes me sound like a tyrant but I think she appreciates it....I can tell by the exorbitant salary she pays me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn, I did get an e-mail from my neighbours in Osoyoos (Rick and Jan) about the quake. Rick felt it but Jan slept through it.

    Sandie (aka MOM) Don't mean to be worrying you. I should have e-mailed you directly earlier....sorry. I'm home free now though right ??

    EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT, Blah Blah Blah Blah !! I should fire your sorry ass !!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. that would be sorry "arse", Denis. Glad to hear that you are ok. You had us a bit worried from the pics of your last blog. Went to our first fair today. Did ok. looking forward to hearing more about you. love you. LMJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! Thanks for the heads up! Never travel from Canada south in November!

    Glad you're safe, should be a piece of cake from here!



    Cyndi & Stumpy @ RVly Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looked to be a pretty scary drive over the Siskiyou Summit. Glad you made it safely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow... you are brave. Glad you are safely on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish I was there to drive ya down the 5 and across the 10 to Arizona....you'll be there in no time!! Only about another 900 miles and then enjoy the winter.
    Looks like you just had a wee bit of a hard time getting a little south!! Enjoy ....

    HB

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yikes! That looks like one of my driving nightmares. Glad you made it safe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow SNOW~! Time to head south fo sho!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YIKES!, I hate driving in bad weather but I guess sometimes we just have too or stay put. But warmth is important.:) Just happy you didn't have any mishaps even with that fool that never moved for the truck. He should have just pushed the fool off the road.
    Hope the rest of your trip is much better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG! my heart was racing just thinking about driving in that snowy mess.

    Please be careful out there

    ReplyDelete
  14. Funny thing about that 'snowy mountain' situation. I didn't get stressed at all. Probably because there were so many people around also at a standstill.

    ReplyDelete