Thursday, January 27, 2011

MORE “LIFE’S EXPERIENCES”

While boondocking my only challenge is keeping my computer charged as it is my evenings entertainment. I don’t watch TV.

I have this little 200W Inverter that I plug into the cigarette lighter while driving to keep things like my computer, cell phone etc. charged. But I’m not doing any driving now and I sooooo hate the noise of the generator.

A little while ago I recalled that there were times when I shut off the engine I forgot to pull out this little inverter yet the RV started up no problem. Hmmmm, I thought – well if that is the case why can’t I use it to charge the computer battery even though the engine is not running.

First time I did it I only had it on for about 1/2 hour and then started the RV…..no problem. OK, so the next time I did it I tried it for about 45 minutes….no problem. And finally I used it for 1 hour and still no problem. The RV started up right away. Excellent !!

So for the last weeks I have been alternating with using this little inverter (for an hour max) and the generator, which has given me power for my computer for the whole evening.

Now of course you know what’s coming ! Yup, I must have used it once too often yesterday (I stayed home all day) and I noticed the computer wasn’t charging last night. Went to start the engine = ZIPPO – NADA – NOT A GIG. I thought these rigs had a ‘button’ you can press to start the engine from the coach batteries. I actually (for the first time….blush, blush) resorted to pulling out THE MANUAL !!

0204

.

.

.

.

.

I discovered that yes in fact they do have said ‘button’ – but my model doesn’t have it !!! Now you have to know me – I really stress over these things. But I have CAA/AAA so why am I worried.

So first thing this morning (ok ‘first thing’ is about 2 hours after I get up LOL) I all CAA and in no time the guy is here and everything is well again. He said to leave the engine running for about 1/2 hour and take the rig out for a run to get a good charge which I did later this afternoon.
But priorities first – that is after I know the RV is ok. Hopped on the bike and went into ‘town’ again to do more checking out all that is here. I stopped into a section I had not been before and this was all ‘flea market’ kind of stuff.
0506

.

.

.

.

.

These chairs are everywhere and I got a laugh out of that.

07

AND I bought myself a HAT ! I’ve been wanting a ‘cowboy’ hat since I got here but couldn’t find just the right one. This one was IT ! It’s very light and it’s BLUE. A couple was standing next to me as I was trying it on and they said it was perfect for me as it brought out my eyes. AND it was only $3.00 !!

08

You see everything at “Q” and there really is something here for everyone.

1011

1213

And I bought a chair. Nice and lightweight, has a side table on one side and pouches (for cell phone, magazines etc.) on the other side. Peter, I think this one has your name on it.

14

Now the challenge was how was I going to get it home ? OK, My flag has to come off and Bennie’s little coat has to protect my chrome luggage rack.

1516

.

.

.

.

.

Countless bungee cords later….

1718

.

.

.

.

.

Home safe and sound !! But I will say that while riding home, the car behind me stayed quite a distance back…….seriously ! LOL

19

I love it that I can have the door and windows open all day. And Bennie really likes it when the door is open so he can look out at all the goings on. He really is the PERFECT dog because he will just lay there for hours and not jump out.

01

Today was my third time strolling through all the Vendors here and I don’t think I’ve covered 1/4 of what is here.

5 comments:

  1. I've been up in the hills for over two weeks, waiting for it to quiet down some before I took to the Big Tent and the madness that surrounds it. Today might be the day. I've enjoyed your pictures and descriptions...

    ps
    my honda generator sounds like a refridgerator when running.... and my netbook has 7 to 8 hours of running time on every charge.. which is the only reason to run the genrator as far as I can tell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a neat place to shop. Bennie is such a good boy.

    Travel Safe
    Dawn & Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. No TV!! I just love my TV. But I also love my computer. However, I will run my generator whenever I need to to charge everything up and to watch the few shows I really have to watch every night. I try not to be obnoxious about it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that everything worked out okay with the battery. Be careful, though, charging your computer off of the starting battery when the truck is off. The coach has deep cycle batteries that are meant to be regularly drained (to 40% or 50%) and recharged. The truck starting battery is designed to give a big push when the truck starts, and then to be immediately recharged from the alternator. My understanding is that it can significantly reduce the starting battery's life if it is deep cycled. I'm not an expert, but you may want to get an opinion from someone who knows their stuff.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete