Monday, December 27, 2010

TWO DAYS "ADVENTURES"

Left the beautiful Gulf Coast (The Breeze RV Park, Surfside Beach, Texas) yesterday morning and have now put 548 miles behind me. A few little wrong turns (that's just getting out of Surfside Beach LOL) but I eventually managed to get on the 36N route that I was looking for. My Mother calls and I know I only have 15 minutes left on my cell phone so I told her we'd chat and then would get cut off - which is exactly what happened. No problem, I'll buy more minutes at the next Walmart.
.
I was doing fine until I went through the Town of Rosenburg where I wasn't paying attention because I was looking for a Walmart. I'm supposed to be able to add minutes through the TracFone website and even via the phone itself but for the life of me I can't get either to work !! Damn technology !!
.
But I'm such an 'experienced' RV'er now I no longer go 20 miles down a country road before I realize I've done something wrong !! So I was not seeing the 36N signs anymore and while stopped at a light a guy in a truck stops in the lane to the left of me to turn left. I roll down my window and ask him how to get back onto 36N. He tells me to turn around (DUHHH) and then asks me where I'm headed. I tell him I want to get to I10. He says that's exactly where he is going and to follow him. OK. hmmmm
.
This is not the route I saw on the map but he said it would lead right to the I10. I am following him and we're taking left turns and right turns but I'm keeping an eye on the signs. Suddenly I realize I have NO MINUTES to use my cell phone in case.....
.
I have a moment of PANIC - I'm following this STRANGER down these roads where I have no idea where I am - I have NO MINUTES to make a call in case.....
.
Every scenario possible went through my head. LOL But I am 'wise' now (throwing up LOL) and know that if he turns somewhere that doesn't have the sign saying going North then I wouldn't follow him and just boot it ! Ya, Like I can do any booting hauling 42' behind me.
.
He took me right to the I10, even pointed to the direction I needed to go - and even put on his signal to ensure I got the message. We gave each other a thumbs up and off I went.
.
I stayed in Sequin, Tx compliments of Wally last night.
.
Once I got settled I started planning my route for today and soon realize there is NOTHING from San Antonino to Fort Stockford. And that was 345 miles of driving. Way over my daily quota. And I mean nothing, not even a Walmart. I checked out a few RV Parks in some small towns but the reviews were horrible. One I even did a population search on (I don't know why as I have never done that before) and read that there were something like 15 REGISTERED SEX OFFENDERS in this very small town. OK NOT stopping there. Resigned myself to a very long days drive today and that's what I did.
.
Other than getting through San Antonio the drive was great. San Antonio had a gazillion over passes and under passes and on ramps and off ramps I was getting dizzy. But the signage was good so thankfully I did ok.
.
It's 4:30 by now and I had been on the road since 8 o'clock this morning. I'm about 35 miles outside of Fort Stockton, cruising along at 70 MPH (the speed limit btw was 80 MPH) and SUDDENLY I hear this loud squealing sound. I near had a heart attack. I pulled over as quickly as I could. Not 30 seconds later a Police Car pulls up. I look around the RV and under it and see smoke coming from underneath. I open the hood (like I would know what I'm looking for !! LOL) as the Police Officer was approaching me. He tells me it looks like a "belt" is on it's way out.
.
I quickly check my belt and no I have not left it unbuckled - just kidding. I ask him if he thinks I'll make it to Fort Stockton and he figures I could and there are mechanics here that can look at it for me. So I have an appointment first thing tomorrow morning to get it checked out.
.
But the more I think about it, the more I think it was the converter thingie I have to keep my computer charged while I'm driving. It has the same squeal when I plug it in. In my haste to pull over and turn off the RV and unplug the converter thingie I feel that it's really hot. It's never been hot before. This, BTW, didn't register in my old brain until later. And when I plugged the converter thingie back in, it didn't work ??
.
Regardless, It was a long 35 miles and I was ever so relieved to pull into Wally's this evening.
.

1 comment:

  1. The next issue is - there isn't anything between Fort Stockton and El Paso either. Hope you get whatever is wrong fixed okay.

    ReplyDelete