Tuesday, December 28, 2010

MY "BELTS" ARE FINE AFTERALL

First thing this morning (8:00AM !) I was at the mechanics place. He wasn't even there yet so while I waited I did the dishes that I hadn't done in two days (GASP !) and made the bed that I also hadn't done in two days (DOUBLE GASP !). Jeeze, Hope Aunt Theresa won't be reading this particular post. LOL
.
The mechanic arrives and takes a look under the hood. No, everything looks fine. Because he knows I am concerned he goes in and gets a flashlight and took an even closer look. No, Definitely everything is fine. The Police Officer figured it was a 'belt' on it's way out mostly because there was a lot of 'spray' under the hood. I told that to the mechanic and mentioned that I had the RV Rust Proofed last year. Yup, That's what the 'spray' was all about. But he did find this ratchet tool in there:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I explain to him about the converter thingie. The more I think about it the more I'm sure it was this thing that likely just got overheated (it's working fine today) and make that squealy sound.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I'm overdue for an oil change so he sent me up the street to get that done. $50.00 later for the oil change I'm on my way to the I10 West again and it's only 9:25AM certainly feeling a whole lot better about driving.
.
You know sometimes I wonder how I get out of bed in the morning and get dressed !! LOL When I was hooking up the trailer the other day getting ready to hit the road again, the little handle thingie on the hitch wouldn't go down. Oh (I thought), it's not supposed to go down when the ball thingie is in place. So I put the lock on and off I went - travelling 548miles/882kms with it like this:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
For 'some' reason it started to nag at me yesterday so I had another look, took off the lock and pushed on the little handle and down she went into place with no problem. When I think of what could have happened with all the bouncing the trailer gets......NO - squeezing my eyes shut and putting my hands over my ears - I refuse to think about that. Ya, right, like I could stop myself from seeing the little trailer bouncing off the hitch and rolling down the I10 smashing everything in sight. Oh Gawd !! Here's what it is SUPPOSED to be like:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I'm forging on now to El Paso. Think I'm still about 130 miles or so away. Pulling into Wally's again for the night and then tomorrow I get to go visit the largest Harley Davidson store in the world ! I really should leave my credit card at home don't you think.
.

5 comments:

  1. Harley is so excited that you stimulating their economy but you have many more to stop at plus all those Camping Worlds. How fun is that. Glad it wasn't a belt thingie and wasn't serious. Drive safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, my daughter didn't get the round thingie on the ball but did get the little handle thingie down and with a lock thru it. Guess what, as she was traveling thru Nashville at 70mph, the trailer came off the ball. Luckly I have trailer brakes on my little pup, stopped dead in the middle of the interstate. She gets out, is standing between the trailer and the truck trying to get the lock off. Cars, semi's, everything whizzing by her. A good Samaritan stopped on the side of the interstate and helped her pick up the trailer, set it on the ball and push the handle down. I don't even want to think about it. I'm so glad you didn't have any problems. I usually jump up and down on the thingie that connects to the truck to make sure the hitch is on the ball, really looks funny doing this. Please be safe, have fun. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandie, Truth be told I'm not really stimulating Harley's economy much. Most I will allow myself to buy is a T-Shirt or something small. But I sure do ENJOY going into the stores !! LOL

    Karen, OMG My stomach sank to my stomach reading your post. I can't believe I did such a STUPID thing. The little pup could have so easily popped off the ball thingie. It doesn't have brakes but it does have those safety chains....I suppose they would have held ??? Hopefully I'll never get to find out !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now my ears are perked up? Think there is anything in the Harley store I need??? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paula, You can't lie to me - I've been in your home. There is NOTHING you need !! LOL

    ReplyDelete